Can you get chiropractic treatment for migraine headaches?

SMP Healthcare

A fully trained chiropractor has the skills and ability to treat a wide range of health and medical issues and although they are well known for the treatment of lower back pain, neck, joint and arthritic pain they are also able to help treat headaches and migraine.

*Headaches and Migraine

Headaches are very common and there are different types. Chiropractic treatment has been found to be effective in the treatment of cervicogenic headache and cervicogenic dizziness. Migraines are a more complicated condition and their causes are more numerous. Some forms can stem from irritation of the nerves close to the vertebrae of the neck or may be triggered by muscle tension. If this is the case, if the cause or trigger is of a musculoskeletal nature, then chiropractic treatment may help. But there are many, many triggers of migraine.
BCA chiropractors are trained to diagnose the musculoskeletal causes of headache and to recognise any ‘Red Flag’ conditions which might indicate a more serious underlying condition, so they will either treat you accordingly or refer you to an appropriate specialist. Treatments will include specific adjustments particularly to the neck and possibly the upper back. Painkillers, although of some help, do not address the cause and so cannot bring the improvement that chiropractic can offer.

*the above information has been sourced from

If you are part of a business private medical insurance scheme or you have individual private medical insurance in place you may be able to claim for chiropractic treatment following pre-authorisation from the insurance provider (providing you chose the therapies option where applicable at the inception of your policy). You can also claim for chiropractic treatment if you are part of a cash plan.

The Medigest Business Directory can help you to find a chiropractor within your local area who can help you with treating your condition. If you want to claim on your health insurance policy, you would normally need to have a GP referral in the first instance.

Please visit


Medigest – Advertise with us