Alcohol Poisoning

Below you will find more information about Alcohol Poisoning from Medigest. If you believe that you are suffering from any of the symptoms of Alcohol Poisoning it is important that you obtain an accurate diagnosis from a medical professional to ensure that you obtain the correct medication or treatment for your condition. There are medical conditions that carry similar symptoms associated with Alcohol Poisoning and therefore the information provided by Medigest is offered as a guideline only and should never be used in preference to seeking professional medical advice. The information relating to Alcohol Poisoning comes from a third party source and Medigest will not be held liable for any inaccuracies relating to the information shown.


Alcohol Poisoning is a serious - sometimes deadly - result of consuming dangerous amounts of alcohol. Excessive alcohol intake can create a direct and devastating impact on the central nervous system. Alcohol can lead to serious conditions including slowing your breathing, heart rate and gag reflex. These occurences can result to severe implications like choking, coma and even death. Alcohol poisoning is life-threatening condition that is usually brought about as a result of drinking excessive amounts of alcoholic beverages within a short period of time.


In accumulation to checking for noticeable signs and symptoms of alcohol poisoning, your doctor will likely order blood tests to check blood alcohol levels and distinguish flag signs of alcohol toxicity including relatively low sugar level in the blood. A urine test is an effective clinical laboratory procedure to confirm diagnosis for alcohol poisoning.


Alcohol poisoning treatment usually involves supportive care while your body rids itself of the alcohol. It consists: Careful monitoring, Airway protection to prevent breathing or choking problems, Administration of fluids through a vein (intravenously) to prevent dehydration.

Symptoms and Signs

Confusion, stupor, vomiting, seizures, slow or irregular breathing, blue-tinged skin or pale skin, low body temperature (hypothermia), unconsciousness ("passing out"), slow breathing (fewer than eight breaths per minute)


Alcohol poisoning may result from accidental - and, in some cases, intentional - ingestion, particularly among children: Ethanol, Isopropyl alcohol, Methanol

Discuss Alcohol Poisoning in our forums

Discuss Alcohol Poisoning with other members of Medigest in our forums.