Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Below you will find more information about Carbon Monoxide Poisoning from Medigest. If you believe that you are suffering from any of the symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning it is important that you obtain an accurate diagnosis from a medical professional to ensure that you obtain the correct medication or treatment for your condition. There are medical conditions that carry similar symptoms associated with Carbon Monoxide Poisoning and therefore the information provided by Medigest is offered as a guideline only and should never be used in preference to seeking professional medical advice. The information relating to Carbon Monoxide Poisoning comes from a third party source and Medigest will not be held liable for any inaccuracies relating to the information shown.


Carbon monoxide poisoning is a condition resulting from exposure to a colorless, odorless, tasteless, yet potentially fatal gas known as carbon monixde.


If carbon monoxide poisoning is suspected, the most common way of confirming the diagnosis is by performing a blood test to check carbon monoxide levels in the patient's blood.


To treat carbon monoxide treatment, the carbon monoxide must first be replaced in the patient's blood with oxygen. This is done by breathing pure oxygen through a mask or ventilator. In some cases, hyperbaric oxygen therapy, in which the body is placed in a full-body pressurized chamber, may be required.

Symptoms and Signs

Dull headaches are usually the earliest and most common symptom of carbon monoxide poisoning. Other signs include: dizziness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, confusion, impaired judgment, irritability, and loss of cosciousness. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a very serious condition and can be potentially fatal, especially among individuals who may be sleeping or intoxicated at the time of exposure to carbon monoxide fumes.


Carbon monoxide poisoning results when an individual inhales large amounts of carbon monoxide fumes. This odorless, colorless, and tasteless gas is produced by furnaces, heaters, charcoal grills, fireplaces, portable generators, car engines, and other common everyday items. However, the amount of carbon monoxide produced by these sources does not usually reach toxic levels. Poisoning can possibly occur when an appliance malfunction within an enclosed area, causing a buildup of dangerous amounts of carbon monoxide.

Discuss Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in our forums

Discuss Carbon Monoxide Poisoning with other members of Medigest in our forums.