Podiatry treatment for Plantar Fasciitis


There are a number of heel issues that your chiropodist/ podiatrist can help you to treat and plantar fasciitis is one of the more common ones.

Heel spurs (Plantar fasciitis or fasciosis)

This is the most common caused by inflammation to the fascia ‘band’ (similar to a ligament) which connects the heel bone to the base of the toes. This condition can be caused in various ways including extensive running/walking/standing for long periods of time, especially when you are not used to it as well as a sedentary lifestyle.  In particular, a change of surface (eg. road to track), poor shoe support, being overweight, overuse or sudden stretching of your sole as well as a tight Achilles tendon can lead to this condition.

Is Heel Pain serious?

Heel pain is a common condition and in most cases will diminish following some routine self-care measures but if the pain persists longer than three weeks, it is best to seek professional advice from someone who specialises in heel pain, such as a podiatrist or chiropodist.  This is necessary as there are many types of heel pain, each with their own different causes and separate forms of treatment.

How is Plantar Fasciitis treated?

Treatment can take many forms from resting your foot as much as possible, stretching exercises and deep heat therapy to steroid injections and even medication or surgery to release the tight tissue ‘band’. In some cases, padding and strapping is applied to alter the direction of stretch of the ligament to alleviate symptoms in the short-term.  However, for the long-term, special insoles (orthoses) are prescribed to help the feet to function more effectively and help to make any possible recurrence less likely.

The above information has been sourced from https://www.scpod.org/foot-health/common-foot-problems/heel-pain/

Knowing when you need to speak to a professional about your foot care issues is important and if you have any foot care issues that do not resolve themselves naturally or through routine foot care within 3 weeks you should seek the help of a healthcare professional such as your GP who can refer you through the NHS or if you are unable to obtain NHS treatment or require more urgent treatment you can contact a private podiatrist/chiropodist.

The Medigest Business Directory can help you find a podiatrist/chiropodist in your local area, please visit https://www.medigest.uk/directory/