Specialist spotlight; the expertise of an orthopaedic surgeon

Medigest – Advertise with us

If you have a condition or have suffered an injury which has caused problems in the bones, joints and other structures involved in making the body moved you may be referred to an orthopaedic surgeon who specialises in surgical treatments for these conditions.

Many orthopaedic surgeons will specialise in a particular procedure or area of the body and some will have specialist experience in certain specific diseases.

Why would you be referred to an orthopaedic surgeon?

You could be referred to an orthopaedic surgeon by your GP, physiotherapist or rheumatologist if other treatments are not providing you with enough pain relief.

The orthopaedic surgeon will discuss your options when it comes to surgery. They fully explain to you your full situation; the plus points and the downside or having or delaying any recommended procedure. As a qualified and professional specialist they will take into account your age, health and levels of activity as part of their assessment.

If there are other treatments available to you, they can also explain the risks and benefits associated to them to help you decide on your own treatment path.

What type of operations could an orthopaedic surgeon perform?

  • Joint replacements such as hip or knee
  • Surgical joint fusion
  • Keyhole surgery for the removal of bone and cartilage debris
  • Fixing bone fractures either from injury or from conditions such as osteoporosis
  • Repairs of ligaments and tendons

Will you have to have surgery if you are referred to an orthopaedic surgeon?

If you are referred to an orthopaedic surgeon his does not always mean that you will have to have an operation. Many people with arthritic conditions may never need to have surgery and you always have the final choice as to whether to proceed with any surgery.

Information sourced from http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/

Within the Uk there are thousands of specialists, qualified and registered with the General Medical Council (GMC) and the Medigest Business Directory could help you find a specialist in your local area. https://www.medigest.uk/directory/


Medigest – Advertise with us