Travel insurance for Backpackers from the AA

SMP Healthcare

Although the AA may be synonymous with car breakdown, they actually offer many different types of insurance cover and if you are planning a worldwide trek as a backpacker then you could certainly obtain a quotation for cover from this well-known and award winning travel insurance provider.

If you are going to one destination or multiple country stop overs, the AA backpackers insurance provides you with cover even if you do casual jobs abroad such as bar work or fruit picking. Unlike some of the policies available on the market, the AA cover allows you one visit home for up to 14 days without voiding the policy or incurring additional charges.

What cover does the AA backpackers insurance provide:

  • Up to 365 days of cover.
  • Emergency assistance available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
  • Personal accident cover up to £10,000.
  • Medical expenses up to £3,000,000.
  • Cancellation cover up to £2,000 per person.

Who is eligible for AA backpackers insurance?

The backpackers cover is available for UK residents only. UK is defined as England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Isle of Man.

Pre-existing medical conditions:

When you apply for a quotation for your insurance policy there is a medical declaration to be completed online. If any of the conditions listed apply to you it is recommended you contact the provider and speak to one of their advisers to discuss the options available to you.

Sports and Activities:

As with all travel insurance policies there are a range of sports and activities that are covered as standard, i.e. Pleasure sailing is covered, but only within internationally recognised territorial waters. These are excluded: ocean sailing, sailing in any international waters, or competitive sailing. If you are going to take part in sports and activities whilst you travel make sure they are covered by your policy.

AA Travel Insurance is a brand style of Automobile Association Insurance Services Limited (AAIS) used under licence by Cigna Insurance Services (Europe) Limited.

The above information has been sourced from

If you are looking for travel insurance and would like help from a specialist travel insurance broker, the Medigest Business Directory can help you find a specialist in the UK. For more information please visit: